Family Volunteer Whys and Hows | HandsOnNetwork
The Saturday before Thanksgiving, November 19th, is National Family Volunteer Day! The post below originally showed on the blog of the Natiuonal Hand’s On Network – we loved it so much, we’re pleased to share it with you.
Volunteering as a family provides a fun way for families to make memories together while making significant contributions to their communities.
It also teaches children the values of kindness and giving back, ideas which complement the gift giving season.
Family members use their talents to work on an issue they feel passionate about.
Serving together builds problem solving skills and strengthens communication within the whole family.
Volunteering together strengthens the family by promoting positive values, creating new opportunities to communicate and focusing on the importance of teamwork.
- Volunteering as a family strengthens the community by encouraging people to get involved, and improving the community’s overall environmment—attracting new business, new people, new commitments and new ideas.
- Family volunteering strengthens nonprofit organizations by increasing community awareness of important social needs and expanding the volunteer base.
- Volunteering together makes family time valuable to both families and communities
- Family volunteering can help to improve family communication.
- Volunteering as a family teaches children values like kindness, empathy, respect, friendliness and tolerance.
- Making family volunteer opportunities available provides opportunities for recruiting new populations, therefore increasing the pool of available volunteers.
- Recruiting families to volunteer acts as a natural multiplier of volunteers. Recruitment of any one family member often acts as a catalyst for enlisting other family members.
- Family volunteering garners media attention. Families involved in group projects are a media magnet.
- Families that volunteer together have a built-in opportunity to reflect on what they did when they volunteered together!
Read the rest of 15 Benefits of Family Volunteering from the HandsonBlog
* * * * *
Also, check out our free eBook filled with family-friendly service ideas from A-Z: