Community Clean Up | Hints, Tips and Volunteer Scheduling with an Online Sign Up Sheet
Springtime is just around the corner and is THE time for helping take care of the Earth around us by enjoying the spring sun and doing good outdoors! Fom trail, to river, park, roadside and neighborhood clean ups, many groups including Scouts, teams, and youth groups, find springtime community clean ups to be a great chance to get outside and make a difference (not to mention using up some of that pent-up winter energy)!
Make it fun, make it easy, make it great -- make an online signup sheet and follow these top tips for organizing your outdoor clean-up project!
- Work with local environmental groups to find community areas most in need of a good clean sweep.
- If including kids, make sure parents know where your group will be volunteering and that precautions are taken for chaperoning and safety.
- Trails, roads and rivers/streams are ‘natural’ ways to do some good, while also providing learning opportunities for your group. Local environmental organizations may be willing to provide a guide who can share interesting facts and knowledge about the clean-up area and ecosystem.
- Coordinate your plan of attack, supplies and tools needed (think rakes, shovels and debris bags), car pools, and snacks with an online sign up sheet from VolunteerSpot. Volunteers can sign up to participate and help from their computer or smartphone and automatic reminders help everyone keep their commitments!
- Everyone loves a few hours in the sun and fresh air! Don’t forget sun block , bug spray, plenty of water and and filling, energy-boosting snacks that won’t leave kids crashing after the sugar wears off (e.g.trail and nut mix, granola bars, apples with peanut butter,and sandwiches).
- Plan for a fun activity as a THANK YOU for doing good after the clean-up is finished. A pizza party, pub sports, playground kick ball game, or quick bowling or mini golf excursion lets volunteers know they are appreciated and gives them a chance to engage with one another, sharing stories of their experiences from the day.
We at VolunteerSpot would love to hear all about your outdoor clean-up project! Share your photos on our facebook page or email your story to info@volunteerspot dot com. Thanks for doing good!
Try our live demo of a Neighborhood Cleanup online signup sheet! Enter your name and email, and choose the girl with the flower – we’ll send you an invitation as if you’re a volunteer. See how easy it is to get started here.