10 Ways to Beat the Heat & Do Good!
As record temperatures sweep the nation, the urge to stay indoors and sweat it out is compelling. This doesn’t mean you can’t find ways to give back and do good! Check out 10 creative ideas for staying cool while helping out this summer:
2. For your next pool party or bbq, include a simple request with your invitations that attendance requires a non-perishable food donation. Decorate a box placed at the front door for drop off as your guests (adults and kids) arrive, and make a point to get those goods to a local shelter or food bank in need.
3. Pump up your family reunion with a day of service, creating meaningful memories by doing good together! Connect with local organizations or plan your own community clean-up; end with a visit to the waterpark or local natural water attraction.
4. Recognize your volunteers this summer with a thoughtful thank you note and gift card to a nearby ice cream or frozen yogurt shop.
5. Donate water bottles and fans; contact local shelters and food banks to find out what cooling items they are most in need of; make a point to collect and deliver them to bring relief to folks in your community.
6. Surprise an elderly neighbor or young family on your street with a sweet cool treat! It is exceptionally important for young children and the elderly to stay cool during a heat wave. Popping by for a visit not only shows you care, but a sweet cool treat like homemade popsicles or ice cream sundaes brings smiles all around.
7. Volunteer at a 5K/Walk-a-thon - sure you’re probably not up for running in the heat, but you can slap on some sunscreen and be there for those who are. Volunteer to man water tables, registration, parking, etc.
8. If you have the proper certification, teach swim lessons! Find a good reason to take a dip while giving back and teach swim lessons for free to friends’ kids or a group you connect with through local community organizations.
9. The show must go on despite the heat when it comes to summer camp! Volunteer your time as a lifeguard, a kitchen aid (“bug juice anyone”?), or a nurse who is on hand to make sure everyone is enjoying the sun safely!
10. Clean out your closet and donate those gently used shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, you name it – help provide a summer wardrobe for someone who cannot afford it this year.