Tips for Nonprofits & Cause Groups
Hosting a booth to promote your nonprofit or organization this Summer? Festivals, fairs and community events are a prime environment for drawing in new community members to support your cause - catch their attention and bring them on board with these 11 creative ideas:
- Use lots of color. Start with a bright tablecloth. A nice vinyl or cloth one (or a twin size bed sheet works if money is tight!).
- Choose a centerpiece. Think flowers or balloons for a simple start - or a bouquet of bright pinwheels or paper poufs work too.
- Post your social handles. Everyone is walking around with their smartphones on them; encourage them to take two seconds to follow your group on twitter, facebook, pinterest, you name it!
- Use vertical displays. The bigger the better! If you don’t have a vinyl banner or pop-up, simply print your logo on a large poster and mount on foam core, put in a large (interesting) frame propped on an easel, or pin it to a large cork or magnet board.
- Use pictures. Display real photos of those you are helping, your team, visuals that represent your services...you get the idea!
- Ask a question. Try using a large chalkboard with a quote, question, or quiz for people walking by. Offer a “prize” for everyone who gets it right!
- Share a giant QR code. Have it link to your organization's webpage or facebook page; give visitors something to do when they get to the webpage, i.e. capture their email address, have them Like your page, etc.
- Give something away. Temporary tattoos, stickers, pens, pencils - free stuff is always up for grabs! Try to find swag that relates to your organization or has your group's name on it.
- Smile. Nothing is more inviting to check out your group's booth than smiling faces behind it!
- Play music. Scoot a boom box right under your booth and blast some dance tunes or popular songs that will catch people's attention as they near your booth.
- Perk 'em up. Hot coffee at a morning event, something fresh like lemonade in the hot afternoon, and something yummy like cookies all day are great ways to draw hungry tummies (and hearts) over to learn more about your nonprofit.