5 Fun Ways to Give Back at Your Independence Day Gathering
Planning a big 4th of July bbq, pool party, or potluck? It's easy to turn your community gathering into a bonus act of kindness with these 5 fun ideas that will have your whole family pitching in:
1. Dandy Donation: Remind your party guests and attendees to bring 2 - 3 non-perishable or canned food items with them to be donated to a local food bank. Help your kids decorate a "donation" box and place it right outside the front door for folks to drop their goods on their way in.
2. Bonus Bake-off: Chances are your Independence Day potluck will have you creating a delicious masterpiece or two in the kitchen. Bake an extra batch of cookies, cake, or other type of goodie for an elderly neighbor, shut-in or friend.
Related: 5 Flavorful Bake Sale Hints & Tips
3. Hamburger Handout: On the day of your cookout, make a plate with a burger, sides and all the fixin's and have the kids deliver it to a neighbor you know won't be getting out for the holiday; or a new mom who could use the fuel.
4. Cards & Crafts: Get in the Patriotic spirit and create a kids corner where all your guests' children can decorate cards, write letters, and create artwork as thank you's for their camp counselors, babysitters, coaches and other mentors they have during those months off from school.
5. Snappy Snack: Planning a sunny morning at the Independence Day parade in town? Stash some extra granola bars and water bottles in your bag to have on hand to hand out to homeless men and women you pass on the street.