What Volunteers in 2014 Look Like
Did you know the concept of "volunteering" dates all the way back to 17th century? Almost 400 years later, serving others and our communities is still the norm - times have changed though! Check out how volunteers are operating and getting involved in 2014:
1. They're on the hunt: The modern volunteer is using online resources at their disposal to scout out available opportunities - from online volunteer databases like those of HandsOnNetwork and VolunteerMatch to more field-specific search sites like those for FeedAmerica's Food Bank Finder.
2. They're social: Tweeting, pinning, posting - the modern volunteer is doing it all! What better way to bring publicity to your school fundraiser or nonprofit gala than having volunteers 'check in,' post pictures and share their experiences with their social network? They're up for it so make sure to encourage it at your next volunteer event!
3. They're signing up online: The modern volunteer is on their computer and smartphone, leaving those illegible paper sign up sheets and overloaded spreadsheets in the dust. Free online signup sheets and online volunteer calendars - with automated reminders - are revamping the way modern volunteers get involved and stay connected to the schools and organizations they care about. Try a free demo today!
4. They're in more than one place: If you're a parent and an active volunteer, you know that you're not just helping out with the class party, but likely volunteering with the school play, coordinating the team snack schedule or helping with the Spring fundraiser too. Volunteers and school parents are relied on more than ever in 2014 and boy do they show up!
5. They're corporate: Corporate volunteer programs and corporate citizenship are ingrained in the modern working volunteer. By empowering employee leadership and forming partnerships with community organizations, corporate volunteer programs are important for the modern volunteer that is seeking ways to do good with support from all aspects of their life.