5 Super Additions to School Hallways
Thanks to Elkay for this great guest post!
Has your school given much thought to making the most of its hallways? All that space where the students spend their time between classes is a great untapped educational & developmental opportunity. When you add it up, between bells, students and staff spend hundreds of hours in the hallways each year. This prime environment serves as a haven for student and staff interaction, for promoting healthy habits, for recruiting volunteers and supporting student achievement.
1. Water Bottle Filling Station: Encouraging kids to make healthy decisions starts with simple small acts like making clean, filtered water available throughout the day. With the ezH2O Bottle Filling Station from Elkay, students from elementary to high school can refill their reusable water bottle or cup in seconds. Encouraging the use of reusable bottles helps schools reduce their environmental impact while promoting healthy hydration. The eco-friendly ezH2O Bottle Filling Station is a sleek and modern addition to any school.
For a limited time only, your school can enter for a chance to WIN an ezH2O Bottle Filling Station (with free installation) from Elkay and VolunteerSpot – that’s over a $2,000 value! Enter now and spread the word >>
2. Growth Mindset Bulletin Board: Helping students and educators shift from a fixed to a growth mindset? This approach to learning and education is revolutionizing classrooms, and one easy way to keep the growth mindset spirit alive is with this unique and colorful bulletin board idea.
Download the free printable signs to make your own bulletin board – click here.
3. Principals and Staff: A vital ingredient to an engaged student body is the presence of school and staff outside of the classroom. While kids are walking in the hallways or visiting their lockers between classes, even brief conversations and interactions with staff like principals, custodians, resource officers and guidance counselors can make a big difference. More than just providing adult supervision in the hallways between classes, having your staff mix and mingle with the student body in the hallways gives your students a chance to get to know their teachers better and meet staff that might otherwise be outside of their immediate school sphere.
4. Volunteer Sign-ups and Appreciation: Saving time with free, online sign-ups from VolunteerSpot? There’s still a way to make good use of school hallway real estate to engage parent helpers and school volunteers! Drive parents who are visiting your school to your online sign-ups from the offline world by:
- Posting an enlarged QR code in the hallway that parents can scan with their smartphones and which directs them to your online sign-ups
- Hang a volunteer poster that’s calling for help and shares a short link to your online sign-ups, i.e. We need volunteers for the school carnival! Go to vols.pt/school-carnival to sign up today!
- Post a parent volunteer in the hallway with an iPad during community events or fundraisers and use the free VolunteerSpot iPad app to sign volunteers up on the spot!
5. Healthy Habits Door Decorations: Promote healthy habits in your student body with quick tips, hints and reminders on classroom doors and hallway bulletin boards. For example, share tips about getting enough sleep and sunlight, choosing healthy snacks, fun group exercise programs and social activities that students can get involved in after school, and the importance of staying hydrated and drinking lots of water.
Bonus: Don’t forget to enter the “Make a Splash in Your School!” Sweepstakes from Elkay and VolunteerSpot for a chance to win an ezH2O Bottle Filling Station! Ends 4/26. Now that’s healthy! Enter now >>
More about the Elkay ezH2O Bottle Filling Station:
Elkay ezH2O Bottle Filling Stations are the easy way to do the right thing for your school, students, and faculty. Making it convenient to keep kids continually hydrated during the school day, ezH2O stations allow users to fill a 16 oz water bottle in about 7 seconds, now that's fast! ezH2O stations provide a free, healthy and convenient alternative to other beverages, encouraging kids to make healthy choices; and bottle counter technology helps users easily see how many bottles your facility has served. Learn more >>